Monday, April 15, 2013

12 Months

Dear Gracie,

I am quite late in writing this letter to you.  I think I've avoided the task because I'm still in denial that you are one year old, or as your cousin across the pond, Kitty, would say, "no longer zero."

 
 
I could go on and on about how fast this year went, and how you will be going off to Prom before we know it.  I could also list all of the cute things that you've grown out of, like stopping mid crawl to lay on your side with your little hand up like it's holding a waitress' tray.  I won't though.  I will tell you about all of the new wonderful things you are doing.  How you continuously amaze us and how if you would have lived back in the 1400s, you probably would've discovered America.  In other words, girl, we dig you.  You turning one is a celebration of all of the things we have gained by having you in our lives!
 
In your twelve month, we celebrated the last of your "first" holidays.  There was your First President's Day when we dressed you up as a tiny Barack Obama.  Ok, we didn't actually do that, but I wrote that idea down on my calendar for next year.  I'm drawing a blank on what we actually did on that day, but I think I sang "You're a Grand Old Flag" to you in the morning.  You threw your diaper on the floor.  Not impressed.  More importantly, we also celebrated your First Valentine's Day!  Now, that was a fun day.  Earlier in the week, I helped you make Valentines for all of your friends and family.  You only ate the tip off of one crayon, so it was a success.  We celebrated our love for hot dogs (only the best food evah!!!!) by visiting Hot Diggity Dog for our annual Valentine's Dinner.  Your father and I started this tradition a few years back when we first moved to Chicago. Instead of going somewhere fancy for dinner (mostly because we were broke), we decided to pick the place that made us the happiest.  Nothing makes us happier than Hot Diggity Dog!  We used to frequent this fine establishment so often that the owner, Joe, became our friend.  He knew our regular orders and loved that we found that place romantic.  Daddy and I also celebrated my birthday there last year only a few weeks before you were born.  So, we already knew you were a fan.  You ate dinner before we left, but I could not resist giving you your very first french fry.  You loved it - of course - you'd never had salt added to your food before.  It was like heaven was shining down on you after that first bite.  You just kept licking your lips!
 
Only a few days after writing your 11 month letter, your few tentative steps turned into flow blown strolling around the apartment on your own.  I really think you were spending nap time practicing while we weren't watching.  It was like a switch just flipped, and boom, you were walking.  Unfortunately, it seems you have inherited your Momma's extreme clumsiness.  Sometimes it seems like the walls, furniture, and floor are just out to get you.  I seriously think Daisy has made a deal with them to make your life just a little miserable - they just pop out at your all the time and trip you up.  It is not unusual for you to have several bruises and/or scratches on your face and body at all times.  I'm sure no famous adventurer went unscathed.  There are dangers that must be faced during explorations!  You want to explore everything, touch everything, figure out how everything works, and then usually put almost everything in your mouth.  You will spend long periods of time touching all of the screws in your tricycle tuning it up or taking all of your books off your bookcase and then (trying to) put them back.  Everything fascinates you.
 
You've become quite the loving little girl.  Everyone of your dolls and stuffed animals gets a huge hug at least once a day.  Lately you've been also covering them up with little blankets and giving them little bottles.  Sometimes you give them the bottle in their arm or leg instead of their mouth, but I don't think they mind.  You're already a little caretaker and mommy.  Sometimes these dolls get roped into dance parties with you where you spin in circles until you get dizzy.  You also loving shaking your hips and your little booty whenever you hear music.  Loosen up a little bit though - I'm really hoping you didn't inherit Daddy's rhythm. 
 
Your vocabulary is starting to expand.  We have added hi, oh wow, wowee, and Daisy to the list of words we're pretty sure you are saying on purpose.  Other than that, you speak your own language all day long - loudly.  Daddy is trying to get you to say his name.  He looks at you and repeats, "Dada" over and over while patting his chest.  So, whenever we ask you were Dada is, you just pat your chest.  Between you and me, kid, just humor him and mutter Dada every once in a while.  He changes 95% of your dirty diapers, so he deserves something. 
 
I've decided there is something I have to share with you.  Something bad happened in our country today.  I wasn't sure if I was going to address or not, but I promised myself that when I became a mother that I would never pander to my children.  So, like I said, something bad happened.  When I got home from work, we kept the news on in the background while you played with your Lego's on the ottoman.  You didn't have a care in the world.  You were hitting two Lego's together and giggling nonstop, and I was sitting on the floor with tears in my eyes.  How would I ever explain these things to you?  Someday you will have questions that I probably won't be able to answer to your satisfaction.  Things won't make sense.  I can't stop bad things from happening (and believe me, I would if I could), but I can be there to hug you and provide whatever I can.  Always.  A friend of my mine posted a quote on Twitter that has helped me through this tough afternoon, and I want to share it with you. 
 
 “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”  Fred Rogers
 
Now, you probably won't ever know who Mr. Rogers is, but he was important to my childhood, and these words will always be true.  No matter what scary thing you are facing, there will always be people who are helping, and I will always be one of them.
 
I love you my beautiful child.  This past year has been a crazy roller coaster ride, and it's just beginning.  I can't wait to experience the whole stomach dropping and smile like crazy inducing ride with you.  Gracie, you are a delight.
 
xoxo
Momma
 
p.s.  You were quite the ham at your birthday party.  You look good in green!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment