Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sharing is most certainly caring.

So, it's official, our parents know they're going to be grandparents!  After my first doctor's visit (pregnancy confirmed), we finally felt comfortable spreading the word to a few very important people.  Unfortunately, since we still don't have the technology to teleport ourselves (seriously, Science, what's up), we had to pick up the old phone.

B and I are both extremely close to our families, and our favorite part is how different they are.  Following are the reactions we received from both sides:

AK's parents - Family H:  Take into consideration that these two have been grandparents for almost 20 years now!  I have a much older sister who has three daughters, so grandchildren have been running around their house for a long time.  Although, there haven't been diapers and highchairs for quite a while.  When we put the phone on speaker and screamed "We're pregnant", my parents were full of congratulations and joy.  You could tell that they were smiling so hard their cheeks hurt - I just love my Dad's big round cheeks that I inherited, and could totally picture him standing there beaming.  I can't wait to hug them both!

B's parents - Family F:  Take into consideration that this baby will be the first grandchild on this side of the family.  We barely got the word "We're" out of our mouths when they started screaming and running around.  I really think it sounded like maybe they were running around in circles screaming.  The noise kept getting closer and then farther away and then closer again.  It made my night to hear them so excited and happy.  Now there is a good reason for all that extra "crib" room in the new basement bedroom.

I never knew that sharing our happy news would multiply our joy so much.  I know that the road ahead of us is not going to be easy (B almost quit the whole thing when he read that newborns need 10 diaper changes a day), but it is amazing to know that we will have the four most amazing and supportive grandparents in the world in our corner.  On these long exhausting days when I'm queasy a lot and need to focus on school and work and don't know how I'm going to do it, I'll think of these four amazing people who went through the same problems years ago to bring us into this world.

So, Science, could you seriously get to work on the teleporting thing?  I have some very important people to hug!

xoxo
ak

p.s.  Baby, when you're a little bit older, remind Grandpa H that he said he was going to buy you a pony if you are a girl, or a tractor if you are a boy.  His memory isn't that great, kind of like your Daddy's which you will learn all about someday, so I'm glad that this is written down so it can be saved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment