Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What're you looking at?

So today I had my first completely irrational emotional outburst that I'm going to chalk up to pregnancy hormones.  I wish I had a video of this breakdown to share with you, as I'm sure it was completely hilarious for those around me to watch.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I will be the topic of many dinner time stories tonight.

B and I moved to Chicago about a year and a half ago now.  Somehow in that time, I haven't been able to find the time to go downtown (approximately 3 blocks from my work - so out of the way, huh?) and pick up my Illinois drivers license.  There were two reasons that I have been putting this off.  #1 being that I knew I had to take the written test which I was extremely scared of, and #2 being that I knew I had to give up my Texas drivers license.  I'll admit that #2 was a big deal because I got my Texas drivers license a few days after B and I returned from our honeymoon, and I was looking skinny and tan in my picture.  I knew I would never recreate that perfect picture.  Anyways, because I recently found out that I had passed the acceptable time threshold that "sorry officer, I don't have an Illinois license because I just moved here" would continue to work, I bit the bullet and made my way to the Chicago DMV this afternoon.  What follows is a pretty accurate transcript of what went down.  I'm going to call the representative that helped me #10.  Poor #10, it was only her second day of work.

#10:  How can I help you, miss?
AK:  I recently moved to Illinois from Texas and need to get my drivers license switched.
#10:  No problem, miss, first I'll need to see the appropriate paperwork (which luckily I had and handed over).  Looks like you already have a record here in Illinois, have you lived here before?
AK:  Yes, about 5 1/2 years ago. 
#10:  Your last name is different though.  I have no idea how to fix this.
AK:  Um, ok.  (tapping toe a little impatiently - I need to pee, and #9 and #8 have both already been through 3 people by this time).
#10:  We'll figure it out sweetie, let's start by having you surrender your Texas license.
AK:  Surrender?  Ha.  That's a pretty harsh word.  There's no way I can keep it?  (tears are forming in my eyes)
#10:  I'm sorry, honey, there isn't.  You will need to hand it over.
AK:  Ok, um, what if I didn't have it anymore.  Yeah, I lost it.  (more tears forming - now threatening to spill out - I have no control over what is happening)
#10:  Well then I think I'd have to call my supervisor over here because I just saw it in your wallet and you'd also need to fill out form #432342342348Dedaiofsndflasf.  (The supervisor's name was Gasper by the way - really?  Is that for serious?)
AK:  Ok.  (tears now spilling out of my eyes down my cheeks)  I'll give it up.....

And then, I did something so weird and strange I just can't believe myself.  I pulled the license out and KISSED IT before handing it over to #10.  Oh, and I did this while basically sobbing into my jacket sleeve.  #10 took the license and then immediately used HAND SANITIZER!  At this point, other people in lines near me are starting at me with their mouths hanging open.  At this point I realized that I was out of control and blurted out "I"M PREGNANT - JEEZ!"

After blubbering through my written test and managing an awful new picture (thanks for the frizzy hair never ending rainstorm in Chicago this week!), I treated myself to Taco Bell where I wolfed down a Nachos Belgrande and two tacos all while STILL SNIFFLING!  Oh boy....

xoxo
AK

p.s.  Baby, being a cryer runs in our family.  It starts out as being a huge pouter (when you're old enough I'll share the Annie Pouts 2010 Calendar with you that my friends created), and moves on to full on crying for any reason or no reason at all when the pregnancy hormones start flowing.  This condition is unavoidable, and is one of the reasons I can't wait for you to meet Granny H.  She has taken this to a whole other level - an art form really.

No comments:

Post a Comment