Saturday, February 25, 2012

This is your brain on pregnancy!

Ok, my brain turned into the fried egg from the "this is your brain on drugs" commerical yesterday, and I committed one of the worst pregnancy errors ever.  I made a decision about my appearance.  More than 15 women with children, and several of those pregnancy books I gobbled up last summer, stressed to not make any decisions regarding hair, skin, or anything beauty related when you are pregnant...especially in those last desperate weeks before the baby comes when you are feeling the most unattractive and uncomfortable you have ever felt in your life.  Ooops.

So, it all started with a very sane beauty ritual that I've been doing since the tender age of 18 (when my best friend, J, told me my eyebrows looked like caterpillars) - getting my eyebrows waxed.  I went into my appointment only to find my normal waxer lady was not there, and a girl with eyebrows larger than mine (yes, hard to believe I know) and a neck tattoo that said "Daddy" sat me down at her station to do the job.  She actually was a very sweet girl, and noticing that I was extremely pregnant, suggested that maybe I should upgrade my wax to a wax and tint job.  "That way, once the baby is here you don't have to worry about doing your eyebrows when you run errands or entertain guests.  It's like permanent makeup!"  she perkily explained.  Hmmm...that sounded like such a great idea and timesaver, that I completely forgot that #1  I don't "do" my eyebrows other than running a small comb through them to tame them a bit.  I don't use an eyebrow pencil or shawdow to fill them in or anything.  #2  I have never in my life cared about looking pulled together when running errands or even entertaining guests.  Even less so since I've been hugely pregnant, and probably even less than that once I have a newborn.  But since my fried egg brain couldn't bring any of these reasons to the front of my conciousness, AND I get easily talked into extra purchases/services at this particular store (Benefit you are like crack to me), I said "YES!  THAT SOUNDS GREAT AND MAKES PERFECT SENSE!"

We've all met pregnant women who in the last weeks of pregnancy, chopped all of their hair off into a "manageable mom bob" or started wearing slippers as outside shoes.  We all laughed at them.  Well, now I'm one of them.  Without going into too many boring details, I now am the proud owner of two eyebrows that look like they were drawn on and colored in with a black magic marker or like this magnetic drawing thing I used to have when I was little.


Or kind of like the evil queen in Snow White...



Once again, oops.  I'm sure it will fade...right?  Hopefully before I see my mom and she tells me I look goth like that one time in college I died my hair black. 

xoxo
AK

p.s.  Baby, I had my 38 week appt yesterday and am dilated the size of a fingertip.  That might not sound like much, but it's a whole fingertip more than last week and a whole fingertip closer to meeting you!  C'mon out - you know you want to!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment