Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Heart Chicago!

Yesterday I had one of those "I love my city moments" that bring on the chills (and teary eyes) when I pinch myself and say "Yes, AK, you really do live here!"  B and I often get that feeling when we are driving back into the city after a vacation or long weekend somewhere else.  It's hard to see that skyline against the lake and not get excited about your life.  Yesterday, I was eating my lunch at a table in Potbelly's while a young man softly sang and played a guitar from up in the rafters.  I was reading the Theatre section of a local arts/entertainment newspaper and planning what shows I wanted to see over the next season.  I was geeking out at all of the amazing choices when I looked out the window to notice that it was snowing big beautiful flakes and everyone was walking with their faces turned up to the snow and smiling.  Of course this all put a smile on my face as well, but here's the real kicker.  Across the street in Millennium Park, I see a man pulling a small child on a sled.  Now they're running through the grass kicking up the snow and laughing until the man grabs the small child and throws her up in the air and catches her.  Right on cue, the young man in Potbelly's begins to sing a stripped down version of "Your Song" by Elton John.  It takes every bit of my strength not start ugly happy crying right there at my table.  I keep it together long enough to finish my lunch and escape out into the fresh air where I too turn my face up to the snow and smile.

I know I've expressed concern about raising a baby in the city in the past, but something in my brain and maybe heart just clicked yesterday.  Suddenly, I can't wait to share this amazing city and our life in it with someone else.  It doesn't matter that I didn't grow up here, we'll work through it together.  That seems almost better.  I can't wait for new adventures and explorations in a city that weekly takes my breathe away with the beauty of its people, architecture, and crazy melting pot of cultures.

xoxo
AK

p.s.  Baby, sorry for the semi-serious tone today.  Momma still has her funny/crazy side intact.  In fact, this morning (in 12 degree weather), I almost took Daisy out for a walk without putting any pants on.  That happened after I slept almost 8 hours last night with only 2 trips to the bathroom and one dog having a nightmare that needed calmed down.  Think about what I will or won't be wearing when you come along and wreak havoc on our schedules.  Hopefully you develop an eye for the bizarre early on and can coo "Aw, hell no, Ma" into my ear to keep us from too much public embarrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment