Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Adventure

Do any of you guys have a theme song?  A song that you imagine playing when you walk into the room sort of like an MMA fighter walking into the ring?  Once while still in Texas, B and I had friends over to watch an MMA fight.  After a few drinks, we went around the room and had to pick our theme song that we would walk into the ring to.  I'm pretty sure I picked "The Final Countdown" by Europe (c'mon - such a good song), and a few others picked some heavy metal stuff or rap.  Then, it was B's turn, and he picked..."Dancing Queen" by ABBA.  The entire room erupted into laughter, and he had some sort of explanation, but to this day, I still hear "see that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen" in my head sometimes when he enters a room. 

Funny stories aside, I rediscovered my theme song last night while cooking dinner.  iTunes was playing on random, and "The Adventure" by Angels and Airwaves came on.  I think I screamed "this is my jam" and turned it way up and maybe proceeded to sing the lyrics at the top of my lungs.  Then, I remembered all the life events that I can connect to this song, and went into full flashback mode for a few minutes.

#1 - Booking a last minute flight to surprise B in Austin (I was still living in Chicago) - 2006
I blasted this song in my bedroom while throwing bathing suits and suntan lotion into a suitcase.  This was the moment I knew we were meant to share our lives together, and I was going to stop at nothing to make it happen.
Relevant lyrics:  "I can not live, I can't breathe, Unless you do this with me"

#2 - Making the big move from Chicago to Austin - 2006
With the Chicago skyline in the side mirror of my U-Haul truck, I blasted this song and embarked on a cross country journey that would change my whole life.
Relevant lyrics:  "Hey oh here I am, And here we go, Life's waiting to begin"

#3 - Marrying the man of my dreams - 2009
I jammed to this song in the shower on the morning of B and I's wedding.  I may have stayed in a few minutes longer than necessary just to hear it three times.  Sorry to those bridesmaids who didn't have hot water when it was their turn - I'm sure you didn't mind :-)
Relevant lyrics:  "Any type of love it will be showed, Like every single tree reach for the sky, If you're gonna fall, I'll let you know, That I will pick you up, Like you for I"

#4 - My first day in the classroom after making the decision to abandon my current career and pursue teaching - 2010
This song was on repeat on my ipod after that first glorious day in the classroom.  After working in advertising (which never sat well with my values and morals), you could say I was just a little jaded about the world.  All it took was one day in a Kindergarten classroom to open my eyes and awaken my soul and creative spirit.
Relevant lyrics:  "Even if your hope has burned with time, Anything that is dead shall be regrown, And your vicious pain - your warning sign, You will be fine"

#5 - We're having a baby! - 2011
The first morning after the positive pregnancy test, I couldn't stop listening to this song.  What an adventure we were about to embark on!  Suddenly, all of the lyrics spoke to me at once and danced around in my head and heart. 

Hey baby, and here we go, life's waiting to begin!




xoxo
AK

p.s.  Baby, Daddy and I LOVE music - everything from Rock and Folk to the Red Dirt Road Country we grew to love in Texas.  I, myself, grew up on a steady diet of The Highwaymen, Michael Jackson, Waylon Jennings, tunes from Godspell and West Side Story, and Guns N Roses.  Some of my best memories of being a child involve listening to music with my parents - Roy Orbison in my dad's truck, and Tom Petty in my mom's van.  Please don't ask me to play Kidz Bop, or anything juvenile like that in the car.  In your room, you can listen to whatever your heart desires, but the car is your parents' domain, and we will take the time that you are strapped into that seat in the back to school you on good music.  That's just how it's done in the F household!

No comments:

Post a Comment